Britannia’s Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe Serves 12
For the cake: 6 eggs, 330g soft butter, 330g caster sugar, 300g self-raising flour, 18g baking powder, 75g ground almonds, 2 large lemons.
For the icing: 300g icing sugar 60g lemon juice.
For the syrup: 110g sugar 140ml water the juice from half a lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 170˚c/gas mark 3 and prepare a 10 inch cake tin (or smaller tins/a tray)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light in colour
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well each time
- Add the zest and juice of the two lemons
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder and almonds and mix until combined
- Cut out a disk of baking paper to fit the base of your cake tin
- Grease the cake tin well and place the disk in the bottom
- Fill the tin ¾ full with the cake mix and smooth out the top using a pallet knife.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 170˚c (gas mark 3) then turn down the oven to 150˚c (gas mark 2) and cook for a further 40 minutes
- The cake is cooked when a skewer placed into the centre of the cake comes out clean
While the cake is baking in the oven, make the syrup, ready to brush on the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven:
- Put the sugar, lemon juice and water into a pan and boil for 25 minutes. Do not stir this!
- This will reduce down to a syrup consistency
- Brush this onto the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven
- Allow the cake to cool and remove from the tin
To make the icing:
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together until combined
- Using a piping bag, drizzle the icing over the cake. You can also grate some lemon zest to add to the top of the cake.